It’s pretty clear that I am in spring GO mode. Even though our weather forecast is for more snow, I am determined to keep the days bright! Sooo, I thought I might share this fun cocktail creation of mine. This drink was one hundred percent inspired by fresh hibiscus flowers that showed up on my door step one afternoon. Since I have hard time finding them at my local grocery store or even Whole Foods, I order my edible flowers online from California at least once a month. A lot of you often ask where I get my edible flowers from, this place is the cheapest I’ve found, but it’s still pricy…I can’t help it though, I am edible flower obsessed.
Anyway, I’ve always loved hibiscus tea…but, I have never actually seen a fresh hibiscus flower. Have you guys? They are possibly one of the prettiest flowers EVER. I knew right away that these flowers needed to be turned into a pretty spring cocktail for Cocktail Saturday. And you guys, I could not be happier with how this drink turned out. It’s SO good and super fun too!
- 2 tablespoons dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 a lime, quartered
- 1/4 cup mango, pineapple, or passion fruit juice
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 2 ounces rum
- sparkling water, for topping
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium size pot. Remove from the heat, add the hibiscus flowers and 1-2 teaspoons honey. Cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain into a pitcher and discard the hibiscus flowers.
- In a tall glass, muddle the lime and mint leaves. Add a handful of crushed ice, the mango juice, coconut water and the rum, gently mix to combine. Pour sparkling water over top to about 3/4 the way up the glass. Add the sliced strawberries and top with hibiscus tea. DRINK.